Court of Protection

The Court of Protection helps people who are mentally incapable of making their own decisions, when there is no Lasting Power of Attorney in place.  It does this by making decisions for them about their money, property, health or welfare.

The Court can also give these powers to someone else  if there is a need for decisions to be made on an ongoing  basis because the person  can no longer make their own decisions.  If the Court gives these powers to someone else, they will be known as a Deputy.

How to apply for a Court of Protection Order

If someone you care about loses the ability to make their own decisions you can apply to the Court of Protection for permission  to make decisions for them.  To apply, there are some forms that will need to be filled in and a doctors certificate will be required to confirm to the Court that the person cannot make decisions for themselves.

It is very important that you know exactly what powers you need to apply for as you will need to complete the correct form for the particular power you are requesting.  For example, you might only need the power to help your friend or relative to manage their money, or you might need a much more general power to help them with all their financial and other decisions.

We can work out which forms are relevant in your particular circumstances and can complete them for you to ensure that they are processed by the Court of Protection without delay.

Call 01634 854381 to speak to our Later Life Team who will be happy to give you further assistance with applying for a Court of Protection Order